Director of EngineeringFull time permanent position
Come work with Pleora
Global manufacturers rely on Pleora’s real-time video products, standards knowledge, and systems expertise in mission-critical imaging products for the industrial automation, medical, and military markets. Our products help system integrators and imaging device manufacturers bring new offerings to market quickly, while reducing risk and lowering costs.
As the leader in high-performance networked video interfaces, we’re looking for a Director of Engineering to lead our R&D teams located in Ottawa and Quebec City on projects in embedded/machine vision, IoT and networked video switching. This individual will be a mentor for a rapidly growing group working on the latest technologies in video, imaging and AI – building software and SDKs across the latest hardware platforms including GPUs and FPGAs. You will have a firm belief in the power of Agile development and MVPs. As the main interface to the R&D team, you will be responsible for all aspects of product development processes, execution and optimization including direct responsibility for the Software, Hardware and FPGA teams. Apply today to this unique opportunity to lead a multi-disciplinary team of engineers building our next generation platforms.
What you do:
- Provide technical leadership to the engineering team in terms of understanding concepts from a system design level (from software to hardware, and how they interact with each other), and providing guidance and recommendations for technical solutions to the day-to-day challenges
- Lead within Agile frameworks and deliver MVPs
- Partner with Product Management, UXD, and PV to ensure engineering can deliver timely solutions that meet the business needs, with a high degree of quality
- Make independent, quick management decisions in a data-driven approach, yet understand, support and execute against a strategic direction within budgetary boundaries
- Engage and encourage new ideas from staff to drive improvements through innovations
- Direct, evaluate and confirm technical architecture design and development
- Drive technology, processes, best practices and organizational resources to continuously optimize R&D execution
- Act as the key R&D point of contact for Sales and Applications Engineering teams for estimates on custom projects, technical questions and escalations
- Manage and empower your team to be accountable and responsible, building a strong sense of ownership in a highly collaborative manner, focusing on producing world-class solutions
- Provide guidance and mentorship to the development teams, as well as attract, recruit and develop engineering and architecture talent to execute our mission
- Perform administrative functions such as evaluating and writing reports, approving expenditures concerning projects
- Manage the R&D budget, resource allocation and SRED reports
What you need:
- Education equal to a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science / Mathematics / Engineering or related field; or combination of education and experience
- 8+ years’ experience in product development for devices building scalable commercial-grade products including software APIs, applications and/or embedded devices
- 5+ years’ people management experience with teams of 10 or more, including mentoring and developing engineers in different functional teams (Software, Hardware, FPGA)
- Excellent communication skills; both written and verbal
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a collaborative environment with cross-functional teams
- Experience embracing user experience principles and practices, and promoting UX maturity within an organizational setting
- Demonstrated ability to work across platforms with a strong foundation in the fundamentals of software and hardware developments
- Expertise in agile development approaches, including techniques for design and code reviews, DevOps and MVPs
- Strong technical knowledge of architectural principles at the system level, including software, firmware and hardware
- Video, Image processing or AI experience, an asset
To apply: This job is located in Kanata (Ottawa), Ontario. If you have the experience we are looking for, and want to make a positive difference, please forward your resume in a Word or PDF attachment to the attention of firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the job title in the subject header. We thank all applicants for their interest. Successful applicants will be contacted by Pleora for an initial discussion. If suitable, you will be considered for the short list and our formal interview process.
Pleora will provide reasonable accommodation to persons with disabilities to allow you to participate in the recruitment process, upon request.